Thursday, February 7, 2008

Silly Snazzy Snakes



Leah and I were reading the book My Love For You, by Susan Roth and we both noticed the neat collage illustrations. We were especially impressed with the snakes. Now, I do not like snakes. No fun. Creepy. Keep them away from me. I just don't like the things. BUT... these snakes were so cute and colorful... that Leah and I decided we would make some of our own! So we got to work. This was a great activity for the kids involving cutting skills, making patterns, and reinforcing shapes and colors (for Leah). Logan even suggested that we "create a list of "S" words to tell about our snakes."

Here's a picture of the end result (which I think is pretty darn cute)!!

Our list of S Words: silly, snazzy, scared, slithering, slimy, special, surprised, squiggly, smart, sleepy

Logan and I even took it a step further (when Leah was taking her nap) and wrote sentences about our snakes. Here's a few of the ones that Logan came up with:

Silly snakes slither around.
Look! A slimy scared snake slithers away.
Did you ever see a special snake that had squiggly shapes on it?
The snake is sleepy so he went to sleep!
Snakes surprise me when I see them.

And my personal favorite:
Don't ever throw a slimy and slithering snake on my scared Mom!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are such a great mom, Laura :) - I think it's awesome that you do activities like these with your kids!

Unknown said...

You are so creative and motivated! It's inspiring.

bdeseattle said...

snakes on the door. run. :-)

--unc