Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Education Issues

I have two things to report:

1: Should etiquette/manners be taught in school?

Situation: We have a 5th grade teacher who is starting a unit on etiquette/manners to her class. Now, I'm all for being polite and respectful but we're talking about boys standing up when a girl approaches their table, bowing when an adult enters the room, etc. To me this is a little over the top. I understand some things: proper table manners, holding the door open, and of course, the good old please and thank-you. Which bring me to another question. Should this be taught in school? I mean, if it doesn't start at home and the parents don't value it, then are the kids going to? I guess it "can't hurt" and some kids may not have appropriate adult role models (not the case in my school) but, I personally feel that this teacher is over-stepping her boundaries. What do you all think? Maybe I am, again, being to sensitive and yes, the basic rules of manners and respect in context need to be addressed but a whole unit on etiquette???

2: Second Graders performing Shakespeare.

Situation: My "favorite" second grade teacher- the one who has done the crazy, inappropriate assignments in the past, is having her second graders perform Shakespeare. Yes, Shakespeare. I barely understand Shakespeare. This has NO meaning to their lives and no connection to the second grade curriculum what-so-ever!! Making a bunch of second grade students memorize lines that they do not understand is pointless to me! Why not have the kids work in groups to create, write, and perform their own plays? Why not have the class write a play for a book they are reading??? So, I spent my 45 minute session with these little guys rehearsing lines today that included:
"Helena, love me so. I can not let you go."
"I can not love you, I will not love you."
"Marry me, please. I cannot part without you."
And on and on and on...
Yes, second grade reading lines about love and marriage?!?!?!?!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you on the unit about etiquette. While I think etiquette is important - please/thank you, etc. - it is something that should be practiced everday. If the teacher wants to teach the kids about some different etiquette skills, he/she could introduce a 'new etitquette practice' every couple of weeks or so that is then expected to be used throughout the year when appropriate - making it relevant. For example - holding the door for someone.

I think it would be more important for upper grade students to get some sort of education on etiquette - particulaly professional etiquette - interviewing, presenting, speaking, dressing, etc. I know that's something that I didn't feel prepared for upon graduating high school.

And Shakespere?? with 2nd graders?? can you get any further away from any sort of relevancy to their lives?? Maybe if the teacher somehow developed the lessons around it to reflect their interests, but it seems to me that it would probably be a difficult task...

terrapindreamer said...

OK - my turn.
I think teaching things such as etiquette in school is in many cases the last chance we have to curtail this downward spiral society is learning to accept. (interesting survey from '05 - http://www.harrisinteractive.com/news/newsletters/clientnews/2006_Lenox.pdf)

I believe that in many situations school is really the only chance some children have to lay a solid positive groundwork leading to success in life. As pointed out, if a child's parent(s) doesn't put some sort of a focus on this topic then it will go unlearned.

I am not familiar enough with a 'unit' to know what that might entail, but making it a topic of discussion one day out of the week doesn't see unreasonable. As individual elements, each topic could be easily covered in a 15 min period.

This could also be woven into other subjects the students are studying; etiquette around the world, verbal etiquette, and so on.

Shakespeare in 2nd grade???
I have heard that recess is long gone in many schools, this must be what they are doing instead? What a joke -

Laura said...

So glad for the comments... and different viewpoints!

Yeah EZ and Mole-io!