Monday, June 23, 2008

Logan the Wonder Boy in Love





Logan and I had a great discussion at bedtime tonight. Mind you, this is after he played with his best buddy, Abby. It went something like this:

**Just picture Logan in all his seriousness and his little inquisitive mind.**

**Also, it should be noted that Logan did not look at me while we were talking. He would walk around his room, sit next to me, get back up, come back to the bed... but he didn't look at me. I noticed that he was deeply concentrating on his thoughts and ideas as we talked.

**I was concentrating on getting the little guy to bed but clearly, he needed a little question and answer time.


Lo- So, Abby is nice, huh?
Me- Yah, she is a good friend.
Lo- Well, what do you like about her?
Me- Hhhm. What do I like? She plays and shares and...
Lo- She's cute, too. And nice.
Me- Nod in agreement.
Pause
Lo- Boys usually marry girls and girls marry boys but sometimes girls marry girls and boys marry boys.
Me- Yes, Logan, that's right. You marry who you love.
Lo- I wonder if dogs marry and cats and bunnies and things all marry.
Lo- Well, who do you think I should marry?
Me- It's hard to tell now because you are five and people usually get married when they are older. I think you should marry someone who you love.
Lo- Well, like, who do you think, though?
Me- Who do you think, Lo?
Pause
Lo- I do like Abby. Do you think Abby would like a boyfriend? Or does she have one? I mean, who is her boyfriend?
Me- Geee, I'm not too sure Logan but I think she does like playing with you.
Lo- But do you think she likes me?
Me- Yes, I do because she plays with you a lot and you are good friends. And you have fun together.
Lo- Yah, she's nice. I wonder if she wants to get married.
Me- You just never know but I do know that Abby like you.
Lo- Yah, she does.

Long pause and then I direct Logan to bed. We say our good nights and as I leave the room he tells me one more thing.

Lo- Wait, Mama. Okay, well Mama, I am going to tell you something but don't tell Abby because if you do I will throw you out of the house and you will be homeless. But I guess I am Abby's boyfriend but I am not going to tell her.
Me- That's great, Logan. I loved talking with you about this and I won't tell Abby.

And with that, he went to bed with a big smile on his face!!
Oh, I love it!!
I am so glad that my little guy is comfortable talking about his love life with his 'ole Mama!! Let's hope our relationship is always this open...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is one of the cutest stories I've every heard! (especially the part where he tells you he's going to throw you out of the house and you'll be homeless if you tell :))

Hope things are good with you guys!