Monday, January 8, 2007

Make-Up Parties for Girls

Here I go "over-thinking" again...

So, this article in today's Seattle PI caught my attention. It talks about spa and make-up birthday parties for young girls (starting at age 4 up until the early teen years) where they go and get manicures, fancy hairstyles, make-up applications, and get to dress up in play gowns. Sounds like fun, right? Children's salon and spa's such as Club Libby Lu's are opening all over the country. My initial reaction was, "How fun. Wouldn't it be cute to go and get a pedicure with Little Leah?" Mind you, she is only 2 and yes, I have painted her toes myself! Then I got thinking a little bit. My only concern is that women and young girls have all this pressure to look a certain way, to be thin, wear the right clothes and make-up, and live up to images on tv and in magazines- many images that are impossible to attain while living a healthy lifestyle. I worry about this. Do these parties give girls the impression that it is important to be pretty? That they have to look and act a certain way? Are we forcing little girls to grow up too fast? I'm not sure. Yes, there has to be a middle ground and these youngsters need to realize that this "dress up" is just for fun. And that's where we as parents come in. I hope to raise my daughter as a confident and secure individual who is comfortable with herself but who also realizes that it is fun and okay to play dress up and get made up once in a while. I mean, hey, we as adults like to, right!?!?

I guess it's kinda like the Superhero/Gun/Fighting/Violent games and toy debate with boys. I think moderation is the key and being open and honest with our children.

Please share your thoughts and ideas...
Kim K- What do you think? I know Samantha did the Libby Lu thing in Syracuse and it sounded like a special thing that you guys did together- which is great. Does Libby Lu take it too far? Does Samantha feel the pressure to look and act a certain way?

1 comment:

Kim Kimball said...

There is definately a ton pf pressure, samantha has been crazy about her appearance since she was so little. on the positive side she is very interested in exercise and being active, personal hygeaine, she loves to style her own hair and pick out fun outfits, which makes getting ready for school a little more fun and exciting (sometimes she does get a little stressed mostly about her clothes). She does worry about her weight, too, she is very muscular and self conscious about it. I'd take her ripped stomach and built arms anyday but she worries about this. I think TV, magazines, pop culture are the real culprits. Sam is always eyeing the magazines at the checkout counters with super skinny Nicole Richie's latest weight issues plastering the cover. It's kind of disgusting. I think that you are 100% accurate with the parental role and that with the right guidance spa days can be protrayed as an essential pampering expereince, a time to take care of yourself and relax. A mom's work is never done.