Monday, November 20, 2006

Moms Rising

So, I stumbled across this website and I think it's pretty cool! It's basically a group that is focusing on "working together to build a family friendly America." A quote from the website,

"MomsRising has a goal of bringing millions of people, who share a common concern about the need to build a more family-friendly America, together as a non-partisan force for 2008 and beyond."

The core issues of their movement include:

M- maternity/paternity leave (paid leave for all parents of a newborn child)
O- open flexible work that gives parents the ability to structure their work hours and schedule in a way that allows them to meet family and career needs.
T- TV we choose and other after school programs
H- health care for all kids
E- excellent childcare
R- realistic and fair wages.

I just ordered a book from the website based on the above values and issues called, The Motherhood Manifesto, by Joan Blades and Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner. It may be a nice change from all the discipline, sleep, ages and stages, and other parenting books I read! I'll let you know how it is!

So, check it out and tell me what you think!
www.momsrising.org

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very cool website! Did you hear about that woman who got kicked off the Delta flight for breastfeeding? The airline claims that is was a personal mistake on the part of the flight attendant. Still! That is completly outrageous!

Laura said...

Yes! What is up with that? Too crazy... and I can't believe it actually happened. A personal mistake sounds a bit odd to me!?