Sunday, November 12, 2006

Word Power

So my good friend and co-worker, Misa is studying to take the GRE's. To improve her verbal score (she is so bright and articulate so I'm not completely sure why she is worrying so much!) but she is reading/studying this book called Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis. She brought it into work the other day and I was looking through it- it is so neat. It's designed to "increase your knowledge and mastery of the English Language" and is "the complete handbook for building a superior vocabulary." The book is focused around etymology, which deals with the origin or derivation of words. (Don't worry, I had no idea what this word meant until I started reading the book) To begin with, the book has these little tests/activities you complete- defining words, determining if words are the SAME, OPPOSITE, of DIFFERENT with in a certain amount of time, writing down as many different words that you can think of in 3 minutes that begin with the letter "D", and writing synonyms and antonyms to certain words. Well, I just love this stuff and I actually could stand to improve my vocabulary and overall verbal language. So, of course, the next day, I dragged Little Leah out for a little shopping with Mama and we went to Barnes and Nobles to get the book. And... I am hooked! The book is divided into little sections that teacher you how to talk about certain subjects. For example, how to talk about: personality types, the medical profession, science, enemies, friends, actions, personal characteristics, and such. Each section has little activities and tasks followed with tests, reviews, and checks. I haven't gotten too far into the book yet but I will give frequent updates. Or, if you happen to notice that my postings are getting really sophisicated and complex, then you'll know it's working.

No comments: